Growth is a double edged sword. Unchecked, growth can be cancerous and destructive. It is this type of ceaseless expansion that has put our society into the precarious environmental and financial positions in which we currently find ourselves. On the other hand, growth can be regenerative and life-giving. Following a forest fire or a bitter winter, the first green shoots to emerge from the earth bear witness to the earth's ability to restore life in the wake of disaster.

My goal for this blog is pretty simple and open-ended: I want to document and share with family and friends my efforts to incorporate an ever increasing degree of self sufficiency, voluntary simplicity, and environmentally-conscious design into my life as a would be urban homesteader.


Saturday, March 13, 2010

Mending Fence pt.1



One of the things on my seemingly unending list of projects to do around the 'burbstead is to fix the fence on the south side of our house. My dad built it about 5 years ago when my parents were living in here. It replaced a tall privacy fence and a neglected raised flower bed that had been there since my Mom bought the house several years prior. Dad built the new fence with a double gate that was big enough to drive his truck through, and a 10 foot high entry way that made it look like entrance to a ranch. All that was missing was a couple of wagon wheels and a cow skull mounted on top. It was a good fence, and it made a handy support for Snap Pea trellis, but unfortunately the posts weren't made of pressure treated wood. Within the past year, the two tallest posts started to rot through pretty bad, and the fence began leaning.

Bob Vila would not approve

This coming week is Spring Break, so I've decided to knock down the Ponderosa fence before it falls over on somebody. I took it all apart today, and I'll be able to salvage most all of the slats. I'm thinking about moving the fence out a little towards the front of the house, thus expanding the back yard (and also allowing me to expand my garden - see how nice that works out?) I'll have to run that one by the next door neighbor first, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment